Sunday, January 23, 2005

Intelligent Evolution

I feel real pity for those who obviously believe their god is not capable of designing biological systems that evolve. These people who claim to know the very mind of god!

If we truly believe the literal words of primitives who could not comprehend stars, cells, atoms, or even the number zero, that is our choice. When we preach those words to others we become just another self-righteous heretic. If we encourage others to stop using their (remarkable, unique, god-given) minds, we encourage death. Where is the morality in that?

God is science. God is truth. It's a shame your beliefs prevent you from glimpsing the awe of either.

Happy persecuting!

5 comments:

Jon said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

and Amen to that

Jack said...

I don't deny a Divine Order. Belief without facts is irrational. I don't need belief, though, because I have faith. I am smart enough to know I have no idea what the hell is going on, and I have faith that "God" does.

There is a universe of evidence. I don't dispute that! I don't believe it's possible to understand God, only to witness the effect. There are people who believe they are somehow able to see things the way God does, and then judge others from that belief. I question why a "modern" people would tolerate teaching their descendants such a radical and obvious falsehood.

Anonymous said...

Because their fragile, restrictive world order is easily threatened. "Systems that evolve" ... that seems like a wonderful thing to attribute to the design of an intelligent/benevolent God, but somehow that just ain't carved-in-stone enough for some people. If you've been trained thoroughly enough to suspect anything that doesn't conform to "let x=x" (where, say x = creation of the world, and x = 7 days), you can go through life ignoring the most obvious facts with a clear conscience.
~Perry

Jack said...

The 15 commandments were written in stone. Ask Moses how that turned out.

Yes I know the Earth looks flat. The sun goes round and round. It's yellow like a banana. <sigh>

Those primitives didn't know about the atom. What's our excuse?