Sunday, April 02, 2006

Holy San Francisco

Today in the mail I received a 65 page booklet, shaped like Reader's Digest. The cover says "What's Next? EARTHQUAKES TSUNAMIS AIDS TERRORISM Are you PREPARED? SAN FRANCISCO EDITION". An explosion is the background graphic with the smoking end of a radical pipe (a big wave) at the top and four gorgeous, sun-shiney, marketing photos of the 4 unquestionably phallic architectural symbols in town.

My first thought was that somebody down in city hall was getting waaaay too freaked out. Who had authorized this? On the back is a classic shot from the 1906 quake aftermath, the anniversary is this week. Beside my address label (Resident) is a giant crack in what looks like solid rock. It better not say to have tuna under my bed.

But the text on the back ends with "Are we nearing the end of the world? What then?" What then? Couldn't be city hall.

Indeed when I ripped open the little sealer dots I found the most wherefores, well-nighs, and ye shalls I have seen in a very long time. One section (there are 11, each starts with a mini giant crack graphic) "The Coming Crisis" seems to attempt to compare and contrast the laws of God and men. They then appear to advocate some sort of Sunday-Sabbath "Curfew" as the only way to cease the calamities that God hath brought. Anyway, long story short, they say that spiritualism is assimilating Christianity, which is surprising, because in fact, Christianity has assimilated every mythos it ever encountered - starting with spiritualism.

So yea I'm all riled up about this thing when I finally make it to page 1 and 2, just inside the cover. A black and white bleed (edge-to-edge photo) of the 1906 quake. Probably Market St. On one page is the table of contents and the other is the following message:

Dear Reader,

What's Next for San Francisco?

God only knows. And not only does He know, He cares. And He cares enough to tell us.

What's Next?, written by one who eye-witnessed the devastation of the Great San Francisco Earthquake, will give you unparalleled insight into the future and the events that will soon and forever change the course of human history.

What's Next? The ancient Hebrew prophet Daniel foretold “a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation.” Upon this “time of trouble” we are now entering. The stage is now being set for the final conflict between good and evil.

What's Next? We might have cause to fear if it were not for the fact that God has charted a course to safety for all His children who are willing to follow Him. It is left with us to choose what road we will take.

What's Next? How will the story end? We invite you to read on and experience the glorious future now! And in reading, may you learn to walk hand in had with Him who holds the future, is out prayer.

The Publishers

Then in a separate, more opaque block, in a much smaller font, it starts "What's Next? is an abridged version of The Great Controversy by E.G. White, first published in 1884..." They go on to claim a copyright for a 501(c)(3) so they can sue me if they want. Apparently the graphics were added later.

Just for the record, I want to predict that "In the future, things will be bigger and more complicated than ever before.™©®∞" You can quote me on that.

D'oh! The seventh-day Adventist.

People our gods are tearing our world apart.
I heard the good news, now please stop sacrificing the trees, and each other.

4 comments:

Gabriel said...

Hmmm, I wonder why the world hasn't ended yet. Haven't they been saying this for hundreds of years, or at least since 1884? There's always been earthquakes, tsunamis and terrorism (clolonialism, slavery, etc.) and viruses that have killed millions (small pox, the plague, etc.). History repeats itself.
These false prophets are trying to scare us into thinking like them (more terrorism), because they're threatened by the new age of enlightenment. At least you and I and millions of others know better than to be brainwashed by this propaganda.
Are these new "Christians" that naive or self-righteous to think that billions of other human beings are condemned to hell for thinking or feeling differently than them? Maybe, and they've distorted the true message of love and compassion that most Christians know. They've morphed Christianity into a pseudo-religion that makes anyone that doesn't agree with them sub-human. I consider myself a Christian and took a year to read the entire bible and reached my own conclusion. And that is that it's a book that has been translated so many times by people with their own agenda, that I had to decide with my heart. My God dwells in my soul and tells me what is right or wrong, whereas religion is taught to people by someone that wants them to believe in what they believe. They had better start reading their bibles more often instead of being read to:
Matthew 24:24-
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Sounds like today to me. And by the way, the ancient Hebrew prophet Daniel foretold "a time of trouble" in the old testament of the bible, which pertains to Israel at that time, not in modern times. It's funny how these fanatics love to interpret everything in the bible and apply it to all the "sinners" that they want to baptize today. And it's amazing to me how these most "holy" of Christians, for example the Mormons, think nothing of adding on to the bible (the book of Mormon) and thousands of people instantly create another branch of "Christianity".
What's next for San Francisco? Great things, and that's the road I'll take. This city might be one of the stages for the "final conflict between good and evil", but I know which side I'm on.
I love you, Jack. Don't get too riled up, your heart knows the truth.

Anonymous said...

I happened to stumble upon your blog while doing some research on the book of Daniel, and Gabriel's comment came up. I am curious how Gabriel came to the conclusion that Daniel's prophecies pertain only to Israel and not to modern times. My research has shown other evidence of the Daniel prophecies pointing to specific times, dates and people that can be confirmed by the history books. I would be interested in where to find the evidence (historical and otherwise) of how this pertains to Israel only.

I also just want to add that I think that not all denominations of Christians are out to "get" all the sinners. I agree that reading the Bible and doing your own research, not relying on a pastor or minister or priest to do your thinking for you is very important. I believe that there will be people in heaven that we would never expect to see there (more than just the "new Christians"- I think there will be people of all religions there and many, many others) since God is the only one who truly knows our paths and what is in our hearts.

Just couple thoughts from someone trying to study and learn about this myself. Thanks for reading.

Gabriel said...

Because it's in the OLD testament !!!

Anonymous said...

What verse(s) in Daniel do you specifically see Israel referenced? Do you see any parallels between Daniel and the book of Revelation?

If you do not have time or interest to backup your conclusions, just say so and no hard feelings.